Secrets and BTS

Sunday

Another Pendant

Oh look at this. I decided to have another go at making a pendant.
The other day I went to a small electronics recycling shack to recycle some lithium and lead acid batteries. I spotted a nice board once belonging to a server. It had very little copper traces (which I learned to avoid from my last experience), in a decent sized area. So I thought, "Why not try and ask the guy if I could take it." To my surprise he was happy to give it to me, and offered to save all the boards he comes by for me! He was so nice about everything, so expect more posts about making things with boards!

When I got home I noticed there were a lot of capacitors and resistors all over the area I wanted to use. With a hammer and two pliers I was able to take out many of the surface glued parts.

At this point there was nothing more that was possible to take out with a hammer and pliers (they were soldered).

All that was left to do was make the pendant. But to do that, I had to figure out a shape less complex. A rectangle was most likely my best bet. I free handed a rectangle onto a part of the board which had little to no copper deposits
Top left has no deposits

 with a fine tipped sharpie.

Now it was time to cut it out. I take a trip to Home Depot to buy some extra blades, sanding pieces, and an extra mandrel to replace my other one with a stripped screw.




With my safety gear on, I proceed to make 3 straight rough cuts on the drawn lines.
 

After that popped out, I used my new sanding piece to smooth the edges.


Since the Dremel is slightly hard to handle when working with small detailing work, I used a drill instead. I drilled a 5/8" hole for the necklace chain to go through and wore it proudly for the remainder of the day.

That sums up my second attempt at creating a pendant from a board! Thanks for reading <3 Love you all ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment