Secrets and BTS

Friday

Pinterest Diy #2

Hey people! Here is the second Pinterest win or fail post! So today I had to skip school because I messed up my shoulder and my neck-ish. This caused me to be immobile and deep in pain. But to help me get my mind off of it I decided to do a Pinterest Diy that I've wanted to do for a while-- a brownie in a mug! I was very excited because it seemed so easy; I went right to work to find the ingredients. So... I live in a quite health conscious house owned by my registered dietitian mother; let's just say I had to get creative. Instead of using the 1/4 cup of flour it calls for, I had to figure out something close to that because we have no flour. I scavenged the house looking behind cupboards and in drawers. My final stop was the fridge where I spotted gluten free pancake mix. "This should work." I thought to myself.
Usually when you think of sugar, you think of the white dyed ground up processed sugar which most recipes call for, but I have none of that. Instead I found a large jar of raw sugar in the back of the pantry. At this point I've substituted such a major part that a different type of sugar shouldn't make a difference.
But then there was one more thing... I forgot we don't have a microwave. Well what was I going to do! I was so ready to have a tasty easy brownie. At this point I wasn't going to give up. We have other appliances that shoot hot air at food. I decided to go with a mini-inferred oven.
All that was left to do was to mix the ingredients.
Disclaimer: The recipe and directions rightfully belong to Simply Recipes and you can check it out at http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/brownie_in_a_mug/  I am not ownership of How to prepare it or it's recipe.

The Recipe:



  • 1/4 cup flour (50 g)
  • 1/4 cup sugar (70 g)
  • 2 Tbsp (13 g) cocoa (natural, unsweetened)
  • Pinch of salt
  • Tiny pinch of cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup water (60 ml)
  • 2 Tbsp canola oil or vegetable oil (NOT extra virgin olive oil, it's too strongly flavored)
  • 1 to 2 drops vanilla extract
  • 1 small scoop of ice cream or 1 or 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream to serve


  • Mini oven is that thing on the leftHow to Prepare it:

    1. Place flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and cinnamon in a microwave safe ceramic mug. Stir with a fork or spoon to mix well and break up any clumps.


    2. Add the oil, water, and vanilla to the cup and stir until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.

    3. Place in microwave and heat on high until the mixture is cooked through, about a 1 minute and 40 seconds for a 1000 watt microwave. You may have to experiment and adjust the time for less or more powerful microwaves. If you don't know the power level on your microwave, start with 60 seconds and increase until the brownie is done. It should still be moist when cooked through, not dry.

    Looks pretty good right? Nope.
    4. Let cool for a minute and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a teaspoon or two of whipping cream poured over.


    How I Prepare it:

    1. Put the dry ingredients like the gluten free pancake mix and sugar and stuff into the cup with their correct measurements.

    2. I added the liquids and stirred the ingredients all together.

    3. I placed it in the mini oven thing and let that run twice for 2 minute intervals. 

    4. I did some magic gymnastics and acrobats and managed to get it out of the mini oven using an apron. 
    5. I tried out my "5" minute brownie.
    6. I spat it out from disgust and asked myself why I ever trusted Pinterest.

    THE END!

    3 comments: